Arranging Beasts

Monday, February 06, 2006

Chapter Four

I know I am awake and find it easy to open my eyes. The room is very dark, I feel like I've only been asleep for a few hours. The tiny light on my clock shows me that it's just a few minutes before my alarm is set to go off. I set the clock back down and pull my arm back under the covers, waiting for the alarm to actually go off.

These dark moments are precious. I think of where my train ticket is - inside the main pocket of my backpack. I think of what I need to do this morning - eat breakfast and mail a letter off to my family. I think of Ernest Hemingway and why he spent the end of his life in Cuba. I don't think that's something I'd do, but I often feel so close to him. The alarm goes off.

Once I'm ready to leave, I quietly head downstairs and open the door. The cold air hovers all around me. It will get much warmer today, but in the morning it is still quite cold. The street lamps are still on, though I can see the dawn colors on the horizon. The sidewalk is frosty. I have 45 minutes to get to the station, it should take me about 20 on the bus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home